First Aid Training Group’s comprehensive and nationally certified Drug & Alcohol Screening Officer training course (HLTPAT005 – Collect Specimens for Drugs of Abuse Testing) has been developed to address legislative requirements for drug testing & alcohol testing in accordance with OHS/WHS requirements and the following Australian Standards:
- AS/NZS 4308-2008 Procedures for specimen collection and the detection and quantitation of drugs of abuse in urine
- AS 4760-2006 Procedures for specimen collection and the detection and quantitation of drugs in oral fluid
- AS3547:1997 Breath Alcohol Testing Devices for Personal Use
In accordance with OH&S requirements all drug & alcohol testing officers are required to hold a Statement of Attainment in accordance with the Australian Quality Training Framework under the definition of ‘Collector’ in the relevant Australian Standards.
The unit ‘HLTPAT005 – Collect Specimens for Drugs of Abuse Testing’ is a comprehensive pathology based training course provided in layman’s terms, available through a highly interactive online course (self-pace) followed by hands-on classroom training.
A detailed description of the course can be viewed in the most recent version of the Competency Standard.
All of our trainers are healthcare professionals I.e. Paramedics,
Emergency First Responders, Certified Testers, Nurses – specialists in the field, all with REAL-LIFE EXPERIENCE!
The learning program is designed to ensure correct procedures are followed when performing onsite drug tests & alcohol breath tests and preparing & packaging a drug or alcohol test specimen for laboratory testing. The course specifically covers:
- Drug types and their effects
- Review of Australian Standards & Legislation
- Drug testing methods
- Arranging a drug test
- Drug testing equipment types (urine drug test cups & saliva drug tests)
- Confirmatory testing at the laboratory
- Chain-of-custody requirements
- Drug Test integrity
- Conducting a urine drug test
- Conducting and oral fluid drug test
- Breathalyser basics
- Conducting and recording a breath alcohol test
The certificate is valid for three (3) years. Annual refresher updates are recommended.
Once enrolled, First Aid Training Group will email students a booking confirmation with course requirements and terms of enrolment.