First Aid Training Group’s comprehensive and nationally certified Drug & Alcohol Screening Officer training course (HLTPAT005 – Collect Specimens for Drugs of Abuse Testing) has been developed to address legislative requirements for drug testing & alcohol testing in accordance with OHS/WHS requirements and the following Australian Standards:
- AS/NZS 4308-2008 Procedures for specimen collection and the detection and quantitation of drugs of abuse in urine
- AS 4760-2019 Procedures for specimen collection and the detection and quantitation of drugs in oral fluid
- AS3547:1997 Breath Alcohol Testing Devices for Personal Use
In accordance with OH&S requirements all drug & alcohol testing officers are required to hold a Statement of Attainment in accordance with the Australian Quality Training Framework under the definition of ‘Collector’ in the relevant Australian Standards.
The unit ‘HLTPAT005 – Collect Specimens for Drugs of Abuse Testing’ is a comprehensive pathology based training course provided in layman’s terms, available through a highly interactive online course (self-pace) followed by hands-on classroom training.
A detailed description of the course can be viewed in the most recent version of the Competency Standard.
- Duration: Distance Learning + half day face-to-face
- Certificate: 3 Years
- Prerequisites: NIL
- Cost: $975.00
All of our trainers are healthcare professionals I.e. Paramedics,
Emergency First Responders, Certified Testers, Nurses – specialists in the field, all with REAL-LIFE EXPERIENCE!
The learning program is designed to ensure correct procedures are followed when performing onsite drug tests & alcohol breath tests and preparing & packaging a drug or alcohol test specimen for laboratory testing. The course specifically covers:
- Drug types and their effects
- Review of Australian Standards & Legislation
- Drug testing methods
- Arranging a drug test
- Drug testing equipment types (urine drug test cups & saliva drug tests)
- Confirmatory testing at the laboratory
- Chain-of-custody requirements
- Drug Test integrity
- Conducting a urine drug test
- Conducting and oral fluid drug test
- Breathalyser basics
- Conducting and recording a breath alcohol test
Self-paced distance learning (nominal hours 10), including 1-day face-to-face training which covers both the theory and practical aspects of operating as a Workplace Drug and Alcohol Tester.
The certificate is valid for three (3) years. Annual refresher updates are recommended.
Once enrolled, First Aid Training Group will email students a booking confirmation with course requirements and terms of enrolment.