First Aid Training Group’s Provide Advanced First Aid course (HLTAID006) is part of the fully accredited first aid training that gives you the knowledge, skills and confidence to respond in an emergency situation. Advanced first aid training provides the necessary skills required to confidently coordinate, manage and instruct other first aiders across a range of complex situations – as well as within community and workplace environments.
The course comprises pre-course learning and practical training plus face-to-face training.
A detailed description of the course can be viewed in the most recent version of the Competency Standard.
All of our trainers are healthcare professionals I.e. Paramedics,
Emergency First Responders, Nurses – specialists in the field, all with REAL-LIFE EXPERIENCE!
The candidate must show evidence of the ability to complete tasks outlined in elements and performance criteria of this unit, manage tasks and manage contingencies in the context of the job role. There must be evidence that the candidate has completed the following tasks in line with state/territory regulations, first aid codes of practice, Australian Resuscitation Council (ARC) Guidelines and workplace procedures:
- followed DRSABCD in line with ARC Guidelines, including:
- performed at least 2 minutes of uninterrupted single rescuer cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) – 5 cycles of both compressions and ventilations on an adult resuscitation manikin placed on the floor
- performed at least 2 minutes of uninterrupted single rescuer CPR – 5 cycles both compressions and ventilations on an infant resuscitation manikin placed on a firm surface
- performed at least 2 minutes of Bag-Valve-Mask ventilation and at least 2 minutes of compression during a two-rescuer procedure on an adult resuscitation manikin placed on the floor
- responded appropriately in the event of regurgitation or vomiting
- managed the unconscious breathing casualty
- followed the prompts of a Automated External Defibrillator (AED)
- followed single-rescue procedures, including the demonstration of a rotation of operators with minimal interruptions to compressions
- responded to at least three simulated first aid scenarios contextualised to the candidate’s workplace/community setting, including:
- demonstrated safe manual handling techniques
- conducted a visual and verbal secondary survey assessment of the casualty
- assessed vital signs (respirations, pulse and temperature)
- communicated effectively with a first aid team providing direction and coordination of other first aiders
- post-incident debrief and evaluation
- provided an accurate verbal and written report of the incident
- applied first aid procedures for the following:
- allergic reaction
- bleeding control
- choking and airway obstruction
- conducted a basic triage for multiple casualty incident
- envenomation (using pressure immobilisation)
- fractures, sprains and strains (using arm slings, roller bandages or other appropriate immobilisation principles)
- head, neck and spinal injuries (using immobilisation principles)
- respiratory distress – including asthma
- seizures – including epilepsy
- located and interpreted workplace policies and procedures
The face-to-face training is delivered over 2 days and covers both the theory and practical aspects of the Provide Advanced First Aid course. Students are required to arrive at least 10 minutes prior to the course commencement or may be refused entry.
There is a short multiple choice quiz at the end of the training, covering the practical theory of the Provide Advanced First Aid information learnt that day. Students will also be assessed on practical skills as a requirement to pass the course.
All students will receive a First Aid Manual.
First Aid Training Group also utilises an Advanced Student Management System to notify clients and students when certificates are due to expire, ensuring staff / Students are always compliant and competent.
The HLTAID006 certificate is valid for three (3) years from the completion date. The Australian Resuscitation Council recommends the CPR skills component is refreshed annually.
Once enrolled, First Aid Training Group will email participants a Provide Advanced First Aid booking confirmation with venue details and maps, course requirements and terms of enrolment.